Curried Salad with Egg & Cashews
Here we toss fresh salad greens with a light and creamy dressing, then top with chopped hard-boiled egg, crunchy bell pepper, dried cranberries and toasted cashews for a satisfying vegetarian salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Yield: 1 serving
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup diced or sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tips), chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashews (see Tips)
- Place yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl or a blender; whisk or blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with bell pepper, cranberries, egg and cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To toast cashews: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 368 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 216 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 899 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (208% daily value), Vitamin A (142% dv), Folate (66% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat