Curried Tofu Salad
This vegetarian nod to the classic curried chicken salad is perfect for spreading on toasted whole-wheat bread or scooping onto a pile of crispy salad greens for lunch.
From EatingWell: October/November 2005, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 6 servings, 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons hot curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and finely crumbled (see Ingredient note)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in tofu, celery, grapes, scallions and walnuts.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: We prefer water-packed tofu from the refrigerated section of the supermarket. Crumbling it into uneven pieces creates more surface area, improving the texture and avoiding the blocky look that turns many people away.
Nutrition Per serving:
140 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 241 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carb, 1 medium-fat meat