Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice for Two
This recipe for two pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 2 servings, about 3 scallops & 3/4 cup rice each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 ounces (about 6 large) dry sea scallops (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops. “Wet” scallops, which have been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP), are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly. Some scallops have a small white muscle on the side; remove it before cooking.
Nutrition Per Serving: 307 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)