Here, graham cracker crumbs, dates and nuts are folded into beaten eggs and sugar to make a wonderfully chewy bar that's much lighter than traditional recipes.Yield: 15 bars
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 45
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, (36 graham cracker squares)
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (2 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together coffee powder and vanilla in a large bowl until the powder dissolves. Add sugar, eggs, egg white and salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Fold in graham cracker crumbs, dates and pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the bars until the top feels dry and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To turn graham crackers into graham crumbs, use a food processor or place the crackers in a large ziplock plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||5 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat