Devil's Food Cookies
If these devilishly chocolaty cookies don't get gobbled the day they are baked, store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Yield: 2 dozen large cookies
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, prune puree, yogurt, oil and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and instant coffee in another medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon just until blended. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool.
Nutrition Per serving:
124 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat