Easy Salmon Cakes
If you are trying to boost your intake of omega-3s, try this simple favorite. It is a great way to use convenient canned (or leftover) salmon. The tangy dill sauce provides a tart balance.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ounces canned salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Dill Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
- Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||10 g (1 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus 27% dv fiber, 171 mg calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat