Rice Noodle & Edamame Salad
Seaweed asserts its umami magic in this beautiful noodle-edamame salad recipe, which is perfect for a summer evening. Several types of dried seaweed are available in natural-foods markets—arame and dulse (sometimes called “sea vegetables”) are two of the most common. Snipped pieces of nori (the seaweed used for sushi rolls) would work too.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 5 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 10- to 12-ounce package frozen shelled edamame
- 8 ounces thin rice noodles or rice sticks (see Tip)
- 1 cup arame or dulse seaweed
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup lightly salted peanuts, chopped, divided
- Cook edamame according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Soften or cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a work surface and chop twice. If using arame, cook according to package directions “for salads”; if using dulse, snip into bite-size pieces, but do not cook.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the edamame, rice noodles, seaweed, carrot, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and 1/4 cup peanuts; toss well to combine. Serve sprinkled with the remaining peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Dried thin rice noodles (or rice sticks) are also called “mai fun,” “bun” or “vermicelli-style” rice noodles. Look for them in the Asian section of well-stocked supermarkets or an Asian-foods market.
Nutrition Per Serving: 418 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 425 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (64% dv), Folate (48% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 lean meat, 2 fat