Eggplant & Chickpea Baked Pasta
Turn leftover Eggplant & Chickpea Stew into a comforting vegetarian baked-pasta dish. We love the taste of mint with the other Mediterranean flavors, but you can use parsley or basil if you prefer.
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Eggplant & Chickpea Stew (recipe follows)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Combine breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl. Toss the pasta with stew, feta, 1/4 cup mint (or basil) and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden and crispy, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mint (or basil).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble the casserole in the baking dish (through Step 3). Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Finish with Step 4.
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving: 496 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 13 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (33% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Vitamin C (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
4 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat