This sophisticated take on Eggs Benedict swaps a full-flavored, chunky vegetable medley for Canadian bacon and hollandaise sauce. Add whole-wheat English muffins and poached eggs and this combo makes a lovely brunch or an elegant light supper when served with a salad.
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, (about 2 medium), diced
- 12 ounces plum tomatoes, (3-4), diced
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add white vinegar.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, reduce the boiling water to a gentle simmer; the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the simmering water, taking care not to break the yolks. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean kitchen towel to drain.
- To serve, top each muffin half with some of the vegetable mixture, an egg, a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining basil.
Nutrition Per Serving: 329 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 425 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 570 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat