Fennel & Orange Salad with Toasted Pistachios
For this elegant salad, sweet-tasting fennel bulbs are thinly sliced and tossed with salty toasted pistachios, sweet oranges and tangy lime juice. Jícama or radishes add another layer of texture and earthy flavor.
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
Yield: 4 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes, (about 8 radishes) or diced peeled jícama (see Note)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or pistachio oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons shelled salted pistachio nuts, toasted and chopped
- Combine orange slices, fennel, radishes (or jicama), cilantro, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss to mix. Just before serving, sprinkle nuts over the salad.
- Note: Jícama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
Nutrition Per serving:
183 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Copper (12% dv), Magnesium (8% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat