Fennel & Pork Stew
This meltingly tender pork shoulder ragout has a savory broth that’s full of fennel. White wine gives the stew a bright edge of acidity.
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Yield: 8 servings, generous 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: Slow-cooker time: 5-8 hours
- 8 cups thinly sliced fennel (2-3 medium bulbs), plus 1/4 cup chopped fronds
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder or Boston butt, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- Spread fennel and onion in an even layer in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and refrigerate fennel fronds.
- Sprinkle pork with 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add about half the pork and cook until brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining oil and pork. Add wine to the pan and scrape up any browned bits; remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle garlic, rosemary, oregano and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper over the pork. Top with the drained tomatoes and pour in the wine from the skillet.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Stir the stew well to combine; serve garnished with the reserved fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep fennel, onion and garlic; trim and cut pork. Refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Nutrition Per Serving: 249 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 641 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (18% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 meat, 1 fat