Here, we blend garlic-infused low-fat milk, reduced-fat cream cheese and Parmesan cheese for a low-fat Alfredo sauce to replace traditional versions made with copious amounts of butter and heavy cream. With plenty of fiber from whole-wheat pasta and only 6 grams of fat per serving, you can put Alfredo back into your pasta repertoire.Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 50
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep the sauce warm.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
- Whisk cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the sauce. Add to the fettuccine and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||6 g (3 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Selenium (83% daily value), Magnesium (28% dv), Calcium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 3 1/2
Exchanges 4 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat