Fettuccine with Fresh Tuna Sauce
Fresh tuna, tomatoes and garlic make a rich and hearty pasta dish.
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fresh tuna steak, (1 inch thick), cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic, (4 cloves), divided
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 strips lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon grated, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or linguine
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna and sauté until browned on the outside but still pink inside, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onions, carrots, celery and 3 teaspoons of the chopped garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher. Add broth, wine, thyme, strips of lemon zest and bay leaf; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Return the tuna to the sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fish is opaque in the center, about 5 minutes more. Discard strips of lemon zest and bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, combine parsley, grated lemon zest and the remaining 1 teaspoon chopped garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place on individual plates. Spoon the tuna sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the parsley mixture and serve.
Nutrition Per serving:
436 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 78 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 14 g fiber; 133 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv), Folate (15% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Selenium (92%).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat