Chinese five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns; it adds subtle flavor to these pistachios. Look for it in the spice section at the market or with other Asian ingredients. Omit the added salt if you use salted pistachios.
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Yield: 6 cups
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups unsalted pistachios
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 250°F.
- Whisk orange juice, five-spice powder and salt in a large bowl. Add pistachios; toss to coat. Divide between 2 large rimmed baking sheets; spread in an even layer.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until dry, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Per 2-tablespoon serving:
92 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
0 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat