Fresh Herb & Snap Pea Salad
Quickly cooked snap peas retain their distinctive crunch, becoming the star in this simple green salad.
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive, walnut or almond oil
- 2 tablespoons fruity vinegar, such as raspberry or pomegranate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups packed mâche, or mixed baby lettuce
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives, (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add snap peas and cook until bright green but still crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lettuce, chives, tarragon and the snap peas and toss. Serve sprinkled with the almonds.
Nutrition Per serving:
123 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 169 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat