Fruit Compote with Coconut
Get a vitamin-C boost when you toss strawberries, cantaloupe and kiwi are tossed with crystallized ginger and orange juice in this quick compote.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup cantaloupe balls, or cubes (1/2 cantaloupe)
- 2 kiwis, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (see Tip)
- Combine strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwis, orange juice, ginger and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with toasted coconut.
- Tip: To toast coconut: Place coconut in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
97 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 17 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate