Fruit-Filled Dessert Tacos
Cookies shaped like taco shells are filled with fresh fruit salsa for a fun and pretty dessert.
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Yield: 4 tacos, for 4 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, (optional)
- 3/4 cup diced pineapple
- 3/4 cup diced mango, (1 small) or peach (1 large)
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes, toasted (optional)
- Cilantro, or mint sprigs for garnish
- To make cookie tortillas: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Line them with parchment paper or foil and coat again.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Whisk egg white, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until blended.
- Drop the batter by scant tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets; allow for 3 cookies per baking sheet. With a metal spatula or the back of a spoon, spread each mound of batter into a circle 4 to 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, about 7 to 9 minutes. Immediately lift the parchment or foil from the baking sheet and place it on the counter. Carefully slip a flat metal spatula under each cookie to loosen it. Return the cookies to the baking sheet and place in the oven for about 1 minute to soften. Drape the cookies over a clean wooden dowel or broom handle, about 1 inch in diameter. Let cool.
- To make salsa & assemble tacos: Combine 2 tablespoons sugar, lime juice, tequila and orange liqueur, if using, in a medium bowl; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add pineapple, mango and strawberries and toss gently. Just before serving, spoon the fruit salsa into the tortilla cookies and garnish with toasted coconut, if using, and a cilantro or mint sprig.
- Make Ahead Tip: The cookies can be prepared ahead (through Step 4) and stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Do not leave them sitting out in a humid kitchen.
Nutrition Per serving:
190 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 208 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (87% daily value).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat