Fusilli with Garden-Fresh Tomato "Sauce"
This easy uncooked sauce is perfect on a hot summer night. You can serve it right away, but it tastes even better if everything marinates for an hour or so. To feed more people, simply add a little more of each ingredient—especially the tomatoes. Halved cherry tomatoes are a nice alternative to field tomatoes.Yield: 6 servings, 1 2/3 cups each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 3 cups diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or other whole-wheat pasta
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and oil in a large bowl; toss to mix well. Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, basil, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar and lemon juice; toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce; toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 1/2 hours.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||17 g (5 g sat, 11 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 3
Exchanges 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 fat