Garlic Chicken for Two
The whole cloves of garlic turn mild and buttery when they’re simmered with chicken in a simple white wine-mustard sauce in this garlic chicken recipe for two. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Yield: 2 servings, 2 drumsticks & about 1/3 cup sauce each
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 40
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/4 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Lightly smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to loosen the skins. Peel; cut the large ones in half. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn it over and return the garlic to the pan. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk broth, mustard, flour and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the garlic is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat