Garlic & Herb Pita Chips
You can make your own tasty pita chips in a matter of minutes. Just cut pita bread into wedges (stale pitas work very well), brush them with a little olive oil and bake. Not only do homemade pita chips save you money, you'll also cut calories by 16 percent.
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Yield: 8 servings, 8 chips each
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 20
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Position oven racks in middle and lower third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut pitas into 8 wedges each and separate each wedge at the fold. Place the pita wedges, rough-side up, in an even layer on the prepared baking sheets. Brush with oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- Bake the pita wedges, switching the baking sheets halfway through, until golden and crispy, 6 to 10 minutes (depending on the thickness).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat