Glazed Mini Carrots
Take advantage of convenient mini ("baby") carrots to make this simple but sophisticated classic French side dish.
From EatingWell: Fall 2004, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups mini carrots, (1 pound)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine carrots, water, honey, butter and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving: 74 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 236 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (320% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat