Golden Chicken with Spicy Refried Beans
Kids love this combination of refried white beans and chicken tenders. If you're concerned about making it too spicy, omit the jalapeno. Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on top.Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||5 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Fiber (31% daily value), Folate (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
From EatingWell February/March 2006