Golden Couscous with Currants & Scallions
Quick-cooking couscous transforms into a fragrant and colorful side dish with just a few staple ingredients.
From EatingWell: March/April 1996, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Place water, lemon juice, oil, salt and turmeric in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and currants. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and stir in scallions. Season with salt.
Nutrition Per Serving: 231 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 297 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat