Golden Egg Bagels
Egg bagels are lighter and a bit sweeter than water bagels. They are great for sandwiches.
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Yield: 12 three-ounce bagels
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 1/2-4 1/2 cups white bread flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sesame or poppy seeds, (optional)
- To make bagel dough & shape bagels: Whisk together lukewarm water, eggs, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, yeast and oil in a large bowl until the yeast dissolves. Stir in 1 cup of the flour. Then stir in 1 tablespoon salt and enough additional flour to make a soft dough, about 2 cups.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, gradually incorporating more flour, until the dough is smooth and quite firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces; roll each piece into a 10-inch-long rope. Form into bagels by overlapping the ends up 1 inch. Pinch ends together firmly. Set bagels aside, uncovered, to rise until slightly puffy, about 20 minutes.
- To kettle & bake bagels: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F. Line 1 large or 2 small baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Bring water, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Slip several risen bagels at a time into the pot"the water should be at a healthy simmer. Cook for 45 seconds, turn them over with a slotted spoon or tongs, and cook for 45 seconds longer. Drain the bagels on a clean dish towel and place on the prepared baking sheet(s). Brush the bagels with egg white and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sesame (or poppy) seeds, if using. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake until golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze fresh (and properly cooled) bagels immediately unless you are eating them all that day.
Nutrition Per serving:
152 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 84 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate