Greek Tofu Salad
This quick tofu salad is flavored with feta, onion, olives and lemon. Make it a meal: Spoon the salad into toasted whole-wheat pitas and add lettuce leaves.
From EatingWell: July/August 1998, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 4 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion, or scallion
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled (1 cup)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together feta, onion (or scallion), olives, lemon juice, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Add tofu and mash together with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato, cucumber and parsley to tofu mixture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per Serving: 152 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Calcium (19% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1 medium-fat meat