Green Beans with Toasted Nuts
Toasted nuts are a simple way to embellish green beans. If you have hazelnut or walnut oil on hand, use it in place of the olive oil to enhance the nutty flavor.
From EatingWell: November/December 1995, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled hazelnuts, or walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Return the reserved beans to the pot and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per Serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 261 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)