The tart and tangy flavor of tomatillos is mellowed by buttery avocado in this zesty salsa verde. Vary the heat level according to your taste. If you have leftover salsa, it holds well in the refrigerator for a couple days, but its vibrant green color fades quickly.
Yield: About 1 cup
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced white onion
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Cook the tomatillos in the boiling water until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Toast garlic cloves, jalapeño and onion in a dry medium skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned, fragrant and soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the garlic. Remove the jalapeño stem and remove seeds if desired. Combine the tomatillos, garlic, jalapeño, onion and avocado in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per 2-tablespoon serving:
17 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 76 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food