Grilled Eggplant & Tomato Stacks
You can grill the eggplant rounds up to a day in advance, then assemble the eggplant, tomato and mozzarella “stacks” at the last minute. To make the eggplant and tomato stacks look symmetrical, use eggplant and tomatoes with approximately the same diameter.Yield: Makes 6 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4-1 pound), cut into 6 rounds about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 6 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, each cut into 3 slices about 3/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 6 thin slices
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Use 2 teaspoons oil to brush both sides of eggplant slices; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grill the eggplant slices for 5 minutes. Turn; continue grilling until tender and marked with grill lines, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large platter.
- Spread each eggplant slice with 1 teaspoon pesto. Top with a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf.
- Drizzle vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the towers; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||11 g (4 g sat, 6 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 fat
From EatingWell July/August 2010