Grilled Halibut with Fresh Tomato Salsa
A quick, fresh tomato sauce served alongside grilled fish is a perfect hot-weather dish. Make it a meal: Grill slices of prepared polenta and your favorite fresh vegetables to serve with the halibut and give your stove a break for the night!
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds halibut steaks, tuna or mahi-mahi, skin removed, cut into 4 pieces (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place halibut steaks in a shallow dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lime juice and oil. Turn to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill.
- Core the tomato and halve crosswise. Gently squeeze out and discard the seeds. Dice the flesh and place in a small bowl. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro (or parsley), onion, jalapeño, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the halibut until it is opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with the tomato salsa.
- Tips: To skin a fish fillet: Place a fish fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Nutrition Per serving:
201 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 756 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (74% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Potassium, (22% dv), high in omega 3 fats.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat