Grilled Portobello “Steak” Sandwiches with Blue Cheese Sauce
Blue cheese sauce gives these gutsy grilled mushroom sandwiches a classic steakhouse flavor.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- Blue Cheese Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 3 teaspoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 3-4 inches in diameter
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups trimmed arugula, or watercress
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Prepare Blue Cheese Sauce. Set aside.
- Dip a pastry brush in water, then lightly brush 1 teaspoon oil over both sides of bread. Grill (or toast) the bread, about 1 minute per side. Set aside.
- Lightly brush tomatoes, mushrooms and onion slices with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the vegetables (or pan-sear in batches) until browned on both sides: about 1 minute per side for tomatoes, 3 to 5 minutes per side for mushrooms and onion. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separate onion slices into rings.
- To assemble, spread the reserved cheese sauce over the grilled bread. Divide arugula (or watercress) among the bread slices and arrange the grilled vegetables on top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- DIY grill basket: It’s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they don’t fall into the fire. If you don’t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this "basket" will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||6 g (1 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Potassium (55% daily value), Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 fat