Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak. Serve with corn on the cob.
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 small red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 30-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per serving:
202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat