Grilled Tofu with a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Mild-flavored tofu benefits from this intensely flavored lemon juice-and-garlic-based marinade. If you have the time, marinate the tofu early in the day (up to 8 hours before serving) so it can absorb all the flavors.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad, (recipe follows)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for basting.
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a shallow glass dish. Add remaining marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Drain the tofu, discarding marinade. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, basting occasionally with reserved lemon juice mixture, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see Tip). Serve immediately, topped with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- To make attractive grill marks on the tofu, rotate it 90° halfway through grilling for a cross-hatch pattern.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||18 g (2 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono), For Chopped Salad, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)