Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Lemon-Chili Mayo
Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 8 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 8-ounce tuna fillets, about 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly brush bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
- Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread about 2 tablespoons of the lemon-chili mayonnaise over 4 slices of bread. Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna and the remaining slices of bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches for up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||19 g (2 g sat, 9 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
From EatingWell July/August 2012