Cornbread Stuffing with Brussels Sprouts & Squash
Brussels sprouts and winter squash make this cornbread stuffing look and taste great. You may need to bake two batches of cornbread to have 2 pounds for this recipe—you can even make it the day before.
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Yield: 12 servings, generous 1 cup each
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 3 pounds winter squash, such as buttercup or butternut
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds prepared cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup currants, raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 fresh sage leaves, rubbed and sliced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Position racks in upper and lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F.
- Halve squash, remove seeds and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges (leave the skin on). Spread on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil, rubbing to coat the squash evenly. Roast on the lower rack until soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool. Peel, cut into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, spread cornbread cubes on a large baking sheet. Toast on the upper rack until crisp around the edges, about 20 minutes. Add to the bowl with the squash.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and add to the bowl. Add currants (or raisins or cranberries), pecans, chives, parsley and sage. Add broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Spoon into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bake the stuffing until heated through, 45 to 55 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate the roasted squash for up to 2 days. Store the toasted cornbread uncovered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 340 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 538 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (162% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate & Calcium (20% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 fat