Herbed Scallop Kebabs
Grilled under a watchful eye to avoid overcooking, these skewers are a snap to prepare. A light lemon-and-herb marinade allows the sweet, succulent flavor of the scallops to shine. Be sure to purchase sea scallops, which are a good size for kebabs.
From EatingWell: Summer 2002, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops, trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh nonstick grill topper on grill to heat.
- Whisk lemon juice, thyme, oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of the lemon mixture; reserve the remaining mixture for basting the kebabs. Thread the scallops and the lemon wedges onto four 10-inch-long skewers (see Tip), placing 6 to 7 scallops and 2 lemon wedges on each skewer.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (see Tip). Cook the kebabs, turning from time to time and basting with the reserved lemon mixture, until the scallops are opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 to 30 minutes first to prevent them from scorching.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Nutrition Per serving:
152 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 31/2 very lean meat