Herbed Zucchini Soup
This is one of the few soups that make the cut in summer. Serve it chilled to take the edge off a hot August night.
Yield: 4 servings, 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 20
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, (3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Place broth, zucchini and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Puree in a blender (see Tip), in batches if necessary, until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and heat over medium-high, slowly stirring in cheese until it is incorporated. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve chilled or reheat.
- Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat