Hiser's Haute Oatmeal
Add some oomph to your morning bowl of oatmeal with some wheat bran and dried cranberries. A touch of brown sugar ensures it doesn't taste too healthy.
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Yield: 2 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- Sliced fresh plums, pears, apples or bananas for garnish
- Combine milk, cranberries (or currants), brown sugar, salt and water; heat until almost boiling. Stir in oats and bran and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the oatmeal is creamy and has absorbed most of the liquid. Divide between 2 bowls, garnish with fruit and serve.
Nutrition Per serving:
304 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (23% daily value), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 nonfat milk