Hot Artichoke-Parmesan Spread
This update of a holiday entertaining classic delivers all of the rich flavor with far less of the usual fat. Serve with pita crisps or toasted slices of French bread.
From EatingWell: April 1998, November/December 1994
Yield: About 1 1/3 cups
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place artichoke hearts in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist firmly to extract all the moisture.
- Combine the artichokes, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer in a small ovenproof gratin dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and bake until the top is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per tablespoon:
31 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat