Indian-Spiced Chicken Pitas
Make a perfect summer supper: grill spice-rubbed chicken breasts and tuck them into whole-wheat pitas along with fresh vegetables and a tangy yogurt sauce. Serve with: Grilled vegetables and a pilsner.
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala , (see Tip), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro , or mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per Serving: 333 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 485 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat