Italian Peasant Soup with Cabbage, Beans & Cheese
A well-stocked pantry is a good starting point for making a hearty homemade soup like this one. Just add some fresh vegetables, bread and cheese and you've got dinner (and tomorrow's lunch).
From EatingWell: Fall 2003, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 8 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 19-ounce or 15-1/2-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 medium head)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices day-old whole-wheat country bread
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese, or 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Mash 1 1/2 cups beans with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage and minced garlic; cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans and whole beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Shortly before the soup is ready, toast bread lightly and rub with the cut side of the garlic clove (lightly or heavily depending on taste). Divide toast among 8 soup plates. Ladle soup over the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over each serving. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Nutrition Per serving:
305 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 10 g fiber; 868 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat