Jimmo's Chicken & Okra
Comfort food with a Southern accent, this dish was inspired by our friend, Jimmo, who ate it growing up in South Carolina. Serve over brown rice or Quick Cheese Grits.
Yield: 2 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and corn and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat