Jojo's Party Mix
Our more sophisticated version of crunchy party mix gets its irresistible, rich taste from olive oil and a bit of Parmesan cheese rather than the better part of a stick of butter, or worse, margarine. With two-thirds less fat (none of it saturated) you can forget about that other stuff.
From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Yield: About 6 cups
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups mixed Rice and Wheat Chex cereals
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix cereals, pretzels, Parmesan, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Toss with oil and Worcestershire. Spread on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring often, until toasted, 40 minutes.
Nutrition Per 1/2-cup serving:
61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 189 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (29% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch