Korean-Spiced Pork Chops & Slaw for Two
Chili powder and garlic, both of which star in Korean cuisine, season grilled pork chops and a cool, tangy slaw in this recipe for two. If you can find Korean chili powder use it, otherwise traditional chili powder is just fine.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 2 servings, 1 pork chop & 1 1/2 cups slaw each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and cayenne (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, radishes and scallions; toss to coat.
- Place the remaining minced garlic on a cutting board; sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt. Mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Combine the paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Rub both sides of pork chops with the paste.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the slaw.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per Serving: 303 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (37% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate & Zinc (18% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat