Lamb & Chickpea Chili for Two
This spicy chili for two has a North African spin with lamb, cinnamon and harissa. If you can’t find harissa, use mild chili powder in its place. You can turn up the heat with a little cayenne or hot sauce if you like it spicy. Serve with whole-wheat pita bread and tabbouleh.
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Yield: 2 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see Note) or 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
Nutrition Per Serving: 328 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat