Lamb Chops with Mashed Peas & Mint
Peas and lamb are a natural pairing. Here pan-roasted lamb chops are served with mashed peas seasoned with mint. Serve with bulgur tossed with chopped scallion greens, a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 lamb chops & 1/3 cup peas each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas (12 ounces), thawed
- 3/4 cup water, plus more as needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 1/2-2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and slightly softened, about 1 minute. Stir in peas, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper on both sides of lamb chops. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large, ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops and cook until browned on one side, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 135°F for medium-rare, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Meanwhile, transfer the pea mixture to a blender or food processor. Add mint; pulse until coarsely pureed, adding additional water a tablespoon at a time for desired consistency and scraping down the sides as needed.
- Serve the lamb with the pea puree.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv). Zinc (25% dv), Iron (17% dv), Folate (16% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat