Crumbled tofu replaces the ricotta in our Italian-style vegetarian meal.
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Yield: 6 servings, 2 rolls each
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 45
- 12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
- Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.
- Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze the cooked rolls and sauce for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Per Serving: 354 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 396 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (15% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 3 fat