Strategy and operations director Josh Gitlin gave this low-fat cookie three layers of chocolate flavor with cocoa powder, grated bittersweet chocolate and cocoa nibs.
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste, (see Ingredient Notes) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces (about 2 cups) pecans, chopped and toasted (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 4 teaspoons cocoa nibs, (see Ingredient Notes)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Thoroughly stir together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, flour and salt in a large bowl. Beat in egg whites, one at a time, with an electric mixer on low speed. Add vanilla paste (or extract) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes on high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times. Fold in pecans, chocolate and cocoa nibs until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, in the center of the oven, until dry and glossy on the surface but soft in the centers when pressed, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully transfer the cookies, on the paper or mats, to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient notes: One tablespoon of vanilla paste is equivalent to 1 whole bean. Find it in specialty baking shops or online at thespicehouse.com.
- You can find cocoa nibs (bits of roasted and hulled cocoa beans) at large grocery stores, gourmet retailers or online at chocosphere.com.
Nutrition Per Serving: 119 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat