These updated lemon squares are sure to be the hit of any picnic or potluck. We've improved the shortbread crust by using white whole-wheat flour and a butter-canola oil blend to cut saturated fat. The velvety filling has fewer eggs and gets a flavor boost from freshly grated lemon zest.
Yield: 16 squares
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 3/4 hours (including 2 hours cooling time)
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter, oil and lemon zest until blended and crumbly. Press the dough in an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling: Whisk sugar, lemon zest and juice, egg, egg yolk and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour evenly over the hot crust.
- Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, at least 2 hours. Cut into squares with a lightly oiled knife. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Per serving:
126 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 23 mg potassium.
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat