This luscious lemon cake is soaked with an equally luscious lemon syrup. Serve with Mango-Raspberry Compote.
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Yield: 12 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus extra for dusting cake (optional)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Mango-Raspberry Compote (recipe follows)
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch Bundt pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Dust the pan with a little flour, shaking out the excess, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan until the butter turns light brown, about 60 seconds. Combine the butter, buttermilk and oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until thick and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Alternately fold the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the beaten eggs with a rubber spatula, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto the rack and set over a large baking sheet with sides. Let cool slightly.
- To make syrup: Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer or cake tester. While the cake is still warm, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly spoon the lemon syrup over the cake, spooning any syrup that accumulates on the pan below back over the cake.
- Shortly before serving, lightly dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve with Mango-Raspberry Compote.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6; store covered at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Per serving:
213 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 77 mg potassium.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 1 fat