Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets
We love how roasting brings out the sweet flavor of beets. Golden beets look especially pretty when tossed with the fresh herb and lemon seasoning mix, but any type of beets will work in this recipe. If you’re a lemon lover, be sure to add the squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the beets are roasted.
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Yield: 4 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 30
- 1 1/2 pounds golden or red beets, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or wedges
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as marjoram, oregano and/or rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.
Nutrition Per Serving: 118 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Fat